This grade II listed building, situated on a south facing slope with views to the River Dart, was designed in 1805, by Sir John Nash, as the Coach House to Sandridge Park.
The building was in a miserable state when we began work; it was extremely damp and had previously been poorly converted. The brief – and the challenge – was to preserve the original fabric and the essence of Nash’s design in its new role as a second home for the clients and their children, a country escape from their busy lives in London.
We had previously worked with our clients on their London home and so we had a good understanding of their needs and requirements. Together, we assessed the features that had first attracted them and gave advice on which elements might need to be altered or rebuilt.
Preserving and repairing where appropriate, interior spaces were replanned and traditional details reinterpreted. The work was undertaken in three phases: the conversion and restoration of the existing building, the addition of a glazed pergola to the west and an open pergola and pool to the east, the latter two bringing unashamed contemporary elements to sit in harmony with Nash’s design.
The original building was based on Palladian principals and we emphasised this further by creating axial views through the building from one side to the other and beyond. We gutted the interior and all the exterior walls were lined internally with special water proofing material.
“McLean Quinlan is commended for the effortless design of its houses. The judges were impressed by how the firm managed to do something contemporary with an 1805 Nash house and yet keep the feel of the original.” Highly Commended, Single Dwelling Category Architect of the Year Awards 2006
- Structural Engineer
- Frank Van Loock Associates
- Andrew Waller
- JDC Builders Ltd
- Peter Cook